Saturday, January 17, 2009

Finally done...

...the bedset project and only 4 days behind sch....not too bad. For those of you that are new and dont know what I am talking abt it all started when Misty posted in one of my crafting groups that she didn't sew and was looking for somone to take on a sewing project for her. Her son, who had a birthday this weekend, wants to be a marine like his hero....his grandpa. She wanted to give him a new bedset that had the marine siggy on it. Well that was a tough task to tell you the truth. One...this material is being Discontiuned at WalMart so bought all they had and still was in need of more. Off to Ebay I went. Got lucky there and was able to bid on 5yrd lot and won it after 3 differnt listings of trying.Once I had all the material I realized I didnt have a quilt rotary cutter. Asked b/f to pick one up for me....BIG MISTAKE. (NEVER sent a NON crafter male to do a crafting females job) Needless to say I had to resort to using the old fashion ways....sissors and ruler. Ok...got that problem solved and got things going finally. The sheet set part consisted of top sheet, bottom sheet and pillow case. (That was the easy part PTL) Got it in the Mail on Tues so it could be there in time for Pauls b-day. Quilt was giving me fits and was taking longer than I thought it would. First didnt have enough blocks to make a twin size quilt with so had to firgure out another way of making this quilt.....off to the drawing board I went. Next the blocks were not perfectly squared. Got the blocks and the "frame" done to complete the top of quilt and had added to the sides of the material for the bottom part of the quilt. Next was to pin all 3 layers together. I had decided to recycle a comforter that the toping was coming off of. ANOTHER BIG MISTAKE. This one was too bulky and would not lay flat enough to pin down. After many not so nice choice of words and tears I finally found another comforter to use that TADA worked. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO now I finally have all 3 layers pinned and ready to sew. I am not a quilter mind you so I do have some puckers here and there but IMHO I think it turned out pretty darn good. Where is the picture you ask....well it is late and too dark in here but I promise that tomorrow I will get a pic of it to share with the group before I put him in his box so he can fly his way to PA.

1 comment:

Gloria said...

Wow.....that was alot of work! I bet it came out terrific! I can't wait to see it. Don't forget to post a pic when you get a chance...well it's back to the kitchen cooking Ribollita today...yum! Go to my blog for the recipe.